Saturday, March 27, 2021

Saturday Notes

Kentucky bourbon
Aged and bottled
Amber reflection
Of a sunset's glow

Sings to me
Through my ancestors' blood
Moonshiners whose lives
Were shaped by the hills
Mists in the valleys
Warm spring mornings
Moonlight and cedars
And a whippoorwill's call
That mingled with spirits
Distilled in hollers
Clear as spring water
Pure as the dew

These legal libations 
Mock my grief
Promise peace in a bottle
I know is not there
They cannot return
The love of my life
Sheltered by cedars
On our farm's steep hills

Today I am grieving
Love lost to death
Love lost to my heart
Love I cannot know
Life unchangeable
Yet I long for the power
To return to myself
With a semblance of truth

A spring thunderstorm
Mirrors my emotions
As tears and dissonance
Define my life

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes fewer words say more, right from the heart. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete