Sunday, May 2, 2021

Driving to Nowhere

Since the tenth of February, I have put five thousand miles on one vehicle. I don’t know how many miles I have put on my other two. Other than a trip to Pikeville in February, I have not been to a town farther than fifty miles from home.

I have mostly driven aimlessly, though sometimes I had a particular restaurant as my destination. I have driven on two-lane and four-lane roads. I have driven through rain and fog, some snow, dreary days like today and days of cloudless skies. I have watched Spring arrive in all its glory.

I am driven by grief, unsettled in my bones, wanting what I know I can never have again.

So I drive. To nowhere. For nothing. Aimless and lost, knowing the way back home but not the way back to me.

I will drive until my spirit finds peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment