Friday, May 14, 2021

We Had No Song

Through the years, I’ve read many books that would have a couple mentioning “their song.” I was listening to some random music this afternoon and “our song” was in the lyrics of one song. And that set me to thinking . . .

Greg and I never had a song that could be called “our song.” The closest thing we had to “our song” was Conway Twitty’s “I’d Love to Lay You Down.” Greg would occasionally sing that to me.

If repetition counted, George Jones’s “He Stopped Loving Her Today” would definitely in the running for “our song” as Greg sang that song -- and ONLY that song -- for at least a year after it came out. I heard it so much that I was at the point of hunting down George Jones and strangling him.

However, “He Stopped Loving Her Today” could be “my song” as that is when I will stop loving Greg . . . when the wreath is on my door and they are carrying me away . . . for “I Stopped Loving Greg Today” whenever that day may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment