Saturday, May 22, 2021

Freedom. Not Really.

I woke up this morning with just one thing on my agenda: meeting someone to get an estimate on tree trimming. Other than that, I could do whatever struck my fancy.

Drive to Louisville. Shop for a new wardrobe. Go to a movie. Rent a houseboat for the night. Dine in the fanciest restaurant around. Spend hours in a bookstore. Walk through a state park.

Whatever I wanted to do.

I don’t have to answer to anyone about anything I might or might not decide to do. No one is expecting a phone call from me. No one is making plans that include me. No one is waiting for me to come home.

No one. But I am not free.

Grief is taunting me today. Telling me all the things I might have been doing with Greg today instead of rambling alone.

Driving down back roads. Sharing a Pepsi and M&M’s. Watching Crocus Creek flow. Listening to Travis Tritt’s music. Gun trading.

Oh, I could do any of those alone. But I could not face them today as Greg is not here to share these things with me. 

My only responsibility right now is to myself and my cats. I can do most anything I choose. But I am not free. Memories and grief tie my days in fetters of sorrow, sometimes making me unwilling to do anything without Greg at my side.

Freedom is illusive.

1 comment:

  1. Someone was waiting for you....I was, with the chicken livers for the kitties, who are waiting on you to surprise them.

    ReplyDelete